Monday 28 January 2013

Day 1, in which I realise I've forgotten how to speak French...

So, I arrived last night. After 20€ in a taxi, and ten minutes banging on a door I finally got into my apartment. It's...small.
Considering I am also very small (read short), everything is about a foot higher than my reach and even hanging up my frocks was a bit of a struggle . Grr at France being designed for 6 foot-ers!

I got lost on the RER because it has the most confusing signage ever and it took me a full 90 minutes for what should have been a 40 minute journey.
Eventually though, I did manage to find the right person in the university to speak to and finally found out how to register for my courses. I just need to pick ten of them now and make sure they all work in a coherent and non-clashing timetable. This is my job for this evening.

Luckily there is a Carrefour supermarket and a boulongerie at the end of my road. The baguettes are to die for-I don't think I've ever had bread this good- and only 1€ too. Yay!

I'm gonna use my time in France to cook properly, and cook well; hopefully expanding my repertoire. As I had a big lunch around the uni campus today, dinner tonight will be baked apples with raisins and ginger. Yummy, and low fat, especially as I forgot to buy any butter.

Tomorrow is further sorting out of the formalities. Organising my courses, paying rent, getting my rental agreement so that I can open a bank account, and hopefully finding somewhere that I can buy a sim card that'll work with a T mobile phone.


1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    Good luck with your semester abroad, i'm also in France atm but i'm here for the entire academic year. Let me know how you get on with CAF, I tried to apply for it once before, when I was living in uni halls,and they sent me a letter asking for a load of paperwork that dorsnt even exist. In december I movd into a shared apartment, and I was talking to my landlord about my failed CAF application, and how I wasn't that bothered about getting it, but then he said you do realise you can probably get about €150 a month right? So then I went straight to the CAF office and reapplied in Feb. Hope to see a few more blog posts soon! Charlie

    ReplyDelete